I have just finished a long battle with U.S. Airways over a guitar they crushed.
They started out cordial & helpful. I was told to submit a claim and a letter from a guitar dealership attesting that the instrument was beyond repair. But things changed once I submitted my claim; they said their insurance doesn't cover musical instruments, so they would not compensate me.
The circumstance was that I had gate-checked my guitar, which I do to minimize handling by employees and to avoid the rough-and-tumble baggage conveyors. However, when it was raining in Halifax, they decided to put all the cargo on the belts instead of bringing it to the gate. When I recovered my guitar, the body had been irreparably crushed by something heavy.
In our subsequent correspondence, they fought me:
- They told me my baggage wasn't packed well enough… But it was. It was in a padded case, which has worked perfectly for gate-checking over 8 years of travel with Air Canada and British Airways.
- They told me it's their policy to not compensate for damaged instruments… But that's another way of saying, "Because we say so."
- They told me gate-checking doesn't mean the baggage comes back to the gate… That one left me speechless, and I was insulted they thought that goofy logic would fly.
When I wouldn't go away, they finally offered $200, which is only a fraction of the $750 price tag. When I said that wasn't enough, they simply told me "We have to consider this matter closed."
My experience with Carnie Ellingson from Baggage Services was that, through arrogance or arrogant company policy, I was treated like an opponent rather than a person they were trying to help. They were either incapable of or disinterested in understanding their mistake, and they just told me whatever they thought might make me go away.
Well it worked, in a sense. This was my first flight with U.S. Airways, and it will be my last.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Crashed Guitar
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I had a family emergency, and had to book my flight round trip, from Portland, Maine, to Tampa, Florida with a stop in Atlanta. I have always flown U.S. Air,..."
- "Had four recent us airways flights all four had bacterial growth in toilets,absolutley filthy ,attendants told me it had been ther for four years. I forwarded photos to presidents office,..."
- "On 3/2/2015 I took a DIRECT flight on Spirit Airlines from FLL to BOS. Flight number 610 to be exact. I was traveling with my one-year-old son at the time. We..."
- "i sent in my complaint 2 weeks ago....where is it? it is the same situation with the freezer leaking water because the defrost does not work and ice builds up...."
- "My husband bought me a Le Vian chocolate and white Diamond band for our anniversary and i have had it less than 2 months. One of the white diamonds has..."
- "We got a new roof that is now in our falling piece by piece in to our yard. This is not the first time either. September 20th is when the..."
- "It's a place for the scammers and liars. Women (mostly from Ghana & Nigeria) supposedly having pictures of either British or Finnish decendants but are in fact guys hiding behind..."
- "I am the second owner of an oil fired boiler with which I heat my home (hot water radiators.) The boiler is made by Crown Boiler Company in Philadelphia..."
- "Lending Club - HORRIBLE Investment Do not believe the bull *** LC posts on its site about 99.8% of investors getting a positive return. It's all a big F'n scam I..."