US Airways - US AIRLINES-AWARD NOTIFICATION-CHECK SCAM

72 of 361 Us Airways Reviews
May 24, 2013
review #411713

I received one of these "Award Notifications" from "US Airlines" the other day in the amount of $1350.00 for 2 round trip tickets to anywhere in the US.Mine came as a 3 sided tear off envelope, the kind you receive checks in.

It had BLUE blotted background and looks very real. This appears to be a check, with even an endorsement area on the back. It has everything on it that would convince anyone it is a legitimate check, numbers on the bottom(routing number, account, and check number), has "Travel Union" with an address (Scottsdale, AZ 85251) as the bank with a number below it, and dated, with amount and written amount, and then a phone number 1-800-476-8606, and signed by Charlette Koehn.

This is a very convincing scam, and I almost called, but was still suspicious because it says in the letter "FINAL NOTICE", and "We have attempted to contact you on several occasions.

This will be your last chance to respond.", which are absolute LIES. This is NOT even an airline AT ALL! US AIRWAYS should SUE this company for using leaching their name.

It's time these scammers get thrown in jail. If I won something without entering any contest, the alone should be criminal by misleading people.

I scanned the whole thing for people to see what the scam looks like, but don't have a way to post it here?It would be nice to show people what these scams look like, so they don't fall for it.

64fc27e
2.6
Had an experience with US Airways?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Davey

Jun 05

Got my final notice and a check for $1,450 with call back #855-666-9939. Must redeem by 6/20/14. It's a SCAM.

MaxLambert

Apr 01

Comes in an envelope with no return address. The address portion looks as though it's hand written, but it's actually a computer font that's designed to look that way - don't be fooled. Mine had a postmark indicating it was mailed from zip code 73125, which is Oklahoma City, OK.
The letter has US Airlines in large bold print centered at the top of the page - there is no such airline; but then, the name while including the word "airline" doesn't have to be an airline - doesn't have to be anything at all - it's just letters on a page of paper!
There is no return address listed in the letter portion of the page, as there should be with any "real" business communication.
There is always a "you must respond..." line in boldface print.
You've always won "2 roundtrip airline tickets", but are never told on what airline. There is always a retail value in excess of $1,000 (mine was $1,450.00).
There is always a "we have attempted to contact you..." paragraph, and a phone number you need to call. If you google this letter, all the findings indicate that it's a scam. People who've actually called the number reach a travel agency - I have no idea if anyone has actually received the tickets indicated; most google results don't go any further than the research. Fodors has a very interesting posting at http://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/us-airlines-award-notificationscam.cfm, where one person actually followed through and posted the results of what happened.

Duh

Mar 28 Lombard, Illinois

This is not US Airways. They have nothing to do with this. Everyone who can't read should be sued for idiocy!

anonymous

Mar 26 Madawaska, Maine

I noticed today that the same address that I use with AAA is the same address that was used to send this kourtney powell letter from zip code 73125.
will be giving AAA a call tomorrow

Mar 20

I got the same exact mailing today and I figured it was a scam. 1-844-792-7007

Mar 20

Mine was signed by Jodee Foster. .lol I received it today

Mar 19

Yay! Just rec'd my second US Airlines letter, albeit without a check. That Kourtney sure gets around. Ah, where to fly, where to fly...

Mar 19

Forgot to mention when you call, the voice prompt says "Thank you for calling Rewards Center." Nice to know that US Airlines can't afford to send legit letterhead like US Airways can.

Mar 19

We called it to mess with them. We got "How do you know Kourtney?" and "Oh she's not available now." Asked to give a claim number, and messed with them some more by giving wrong claim numbers. Then hung up.
The best response was "Well I don't know if you won. I have to look it up." LOL

Mar 18

Yep got a cheaply constructed letter also. If they want someone to fall for it, they should get a better printer. Number listed here is 888 306 4779. Thanks Kourt ;)

MASS

Mar 18

Got this US Airlines letter today also from Kourtney Powell for 2 roundtrip tix ($1450) and to call 877-784-8679.

Yorkie mom

Mar 18 Warwick, Rhode Island

I just received a very convincing letter offering the same round trip tickets for US Airlines, also stating they tried contacting me and this was my last chance. I googled Kourtney Powell, V. President of U s Airlines, as that was the signature. That is when I found out about this scam. Remember....if it is too good to be true, it probably is a scam

Deb

Mar 18

Just rec'd my award letter yesterday and searched my computer for results, and found this site. The letter signed by Kourtney definitely looked like a scam.

SCAMERS SUCK

Mar 13

Just got one for $ 1450.00

Steve

Mar 10 Manhattan, New York

I just received check number 1008 signed by Kourtney Powell. Lucky me! Figured it was a scam so called us airways and within a 30 seconds they said it was a scam. Pretty good one if you ask me.

Mar 10 Greenwood, Indiana

Just got mine a couple of days ago curious what bank the routing number is associated with, if any?? Yeah thought about cashing it too, worst that can happen is it gets kicked back.

Not Fooled

Mar 09 St. Louis, Missouri

I received check #1008 for $1,450.00 thanks to the kindness of Ms. Kourtney Poueell. I truly thought about cashing it just to screw with them for a couple of weeks until it kicks back.

Showing 1-20 of 227 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about US Airways.
Filing a new complaint about
×